Wins for 16 of 30 local candidates endorsed by MRLF
From the Minneapolis Labor Review, November 18, 2016
By Steve Share, Minneapolis Labor Review editor
MINNEAPOLIS — In the November 8 election, 16 out of 30 candidates for local office who were endorsed by the Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation won their races.
All four MRLF-endorsed candidates for Minneapolis School Board won (see story).
Results in other races highlighted in the Labor Review last month include:
• In Hennepin County, MRLF-endorsed Debbie Goettel won election to the District 5 County Board seat with 58.61 percent of the vote.
• In Anoka County, both MRLF-endorsed candidates challenging incumbent county commissioners lost their races, Marsha VanDenburgh in District 1 (34.70 percent of the vote) losing to Matt Look (65.06 percent of the vote) and Nyle Zikmund in District 3 (43.11 percent of the vote) losing to Robyn West (56.43 percent of the vote).
• In Brooklyn Park, MRLF-endorsed Susan Pha won her race for the open West District City Council seat. She won 56.58 percent of the vote, defeating Amy Hanson, who earned 42.55 percent of the vote. In winning, Pha made history in becoming the first person of color elected to the Brooklyn Park City Council.
• In the race for the Brooklyn Park East District City Council seat, MRLF-endorsed Reva Chamblis earned 42.53 percent of the vote and lost to Lisa Jacobson, who won 56.72 percent of the vote.
• In Richfield, MRLF-endorsed Maria Regan Gonzalez won election to the Ward 3 City Council seat, earning 56.24 percent of the vote and defeating Lisa Rudolph, who received 42.77 of the vote.
• In Crystal, MRLF-endorsed ReNae Bowman lost her bid to return as Mayor, losing to incumbent Jim Adams 54.90 percent to 44.58 percent.
“The way we rebuild progressive power is at the local level,” emphasized MRLF campaign staffer David Gilbert-Pederson, speaking at a post-election gathering of MRLF campaign workers.